Saturday, April 10, 2010




Black revolutionary artist
corel draw/photoshop

Derwin Vallie's Art Gallery
An exhibition in assorted mediums

2Trinis 2Gether
Illustrator/photoshop/o
il

2Trinis 2Gether was a recent exper
iment where
I pa
inted the background in oils and designed the characters in illustrator and photoshop. I'd like to dedicate this one to all the 'Trini' couples holding it down and staying together despite the odds.

Mya
flash/photoshop

This is an illustration of my daughter when she was four months old. At the time when I did this I was the musical director for a Trinidad based soca artist named Bunji Garlin and his band, The Asylum. I found that doing stuff like this in my spare time, helped me to retain my sanity...somewhat.


Revolutionary Stamps
Flash/Illustrator.

This is a project I did for an art class at The Borough of Manhattan Community College (BMCC). They are stamps bearing the image of two revolutionary historical figures, Dr. Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi.



Ab Normal_1
Cinema 4D

Ab Normal_2
Cinema 4D

Allow me to introduce you to one of my characters. His name is Normal.....Ab Normal. I did this for an art class project at New York City Tech; using the 3D software, Cinema 4D.


Fiddler
Ball point pen/color pencils.

This started out as a doodle sketch using a regular ball point pen and scrap paper. I liked the raw sketch alot, so i decided to add color using color pencils.



The Burning
Ball point pen/color pencils.

I should mention that these three pen and color pencil pieces were all done while at Trinidad's Mount St. Benedict rehab center; during my therapy sessions. I can't remember exactly what I was feeling at the time when I did this particular piece, but I assume I wasn't having a great time.


Figgy
Ball point pen/color pencils.

This final sketch suggests that my mood eventually changed during therapy. It seems happy, pleasant and peaceful. I think I'm in a much better place now.... :-)

Asylum1
Illustrator

Asylum2
Photoshop

These is are two design ideas I did for the Asylum band. For some reason, we never got around to using it for its intended purpose.


Bellaire
flash/photoshop

coconut girl
flash/illustrator

river shack
flash/illustrator

No Attention
flash.

These are random pieces I did in my spare time, just to keep myself from being idle. I found that keeping myself busy was usually a good way not to get into trouble. The old folks were right. The devil does find work for idle hands....but he won't get mine! :-)

Spooky Ranks
flash.

Bong
flash.

These are two of my animated characters; Bong and Spooky Ranks. The 3D character below is a...'ting' that often invaded my dreams at one time. Strangely enough, after drawing and characterizing him, he hasn't returned.


Ting
Cinema 4D.


Janx
flash.

This is an illustration of my cousin when he was a toddler.


Derwin Vallie's Animation Gallery
Short animated clips produced in Adobe Flash


Haiku for MMP 460
flash.

Greetings! Welcome to my animation gallery. This first clip is a Haiku that was done for a final project at BMCC. Doing the animation was cool, but I also had a lot of fun producing the sound track and sound effects as well.

Actually, a Haiku is a particular form of short poem originated in Japan more than 250 years ago. A Haiku written in the length and deals with a topic from nature. Originally the format for writing Haikus was very strict: the first line contained 5 syllables, the second line contained 7 syllables, and the third line contained 5 syllables. In recent times these rules have been relaxed.




Shut Dong
flash.

This is clip about a an experience that many people may be familiar with. In Trinidad when you have car troubles that lead to pulling up on the side of the road for assistance or on the spot repair, it is said that you 'shut dong'.





Mother's day greeting
flash.
Happy Mother's day to all mothers! Notice how hott mummy still looks after child birth. Wow!

19 comments:

  1. Derwin,
    Thanks for sharing. All of the pieces are captivating. I'm particularly captivated by "the Burning," it tells a thousands words. Hopefully someday you'll remember how you felt that day. Have you thought about replicating it in another medium?

    AS, 04-11-2010

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the appreciation Avelia. Actually, I have considered extending on the Burining concept at one time...but just never got around to doing it. I think you just gave me an even greater reason to explore the possibilities. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excubical.... Particularly impressed by The Fiddler. The detailing is very intricate.U have talent that is yet to be explored. Find it. Share it... Here is where you will find contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing....The Fiddler hmm..its just showing how much talent and skill is there to explore.Keep the good work pumping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to you Kheri and Gillian. Appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Impressive pieces, it demonstrates another facet of your creativity and imagination. i would like to see this strain of you pursued more, i'm very akin to the emotions expressed by the fiddler and the burning, quite extraordinary, i would put it up in my house/studio. Please make time for your art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Derwin,
    I was impress with those pieces there was a lot of emotions coming out of them its like I was feeling what you were thinking and I think thats powerful and strong. I love the burning piece I would like to know what you were thinking or feeling at that time. Keep up the great work and continue to share!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have certainly used the canvas of life’s experiences to produce very creative pieces. Continue with the stance you have taken with your life and it will definitely continue to chart your course to showcase your extraordinary talents. Love the "Burning". So many hidden meanings in this piece. Best wishes and blessings in your future endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the fiddler and figgy are my top picks! firstly....congrats derwin. i'm blown away and very excited for when you decide to exhibit all of your work. the detailing in the fiddler is quite intriguing. when you look at it, it's almost as though you can feel his emotion while he's playing.

    Figgy just screams life! it captures life in the Caribbean. it's a familiar scene.

    great work

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since I have known you Derwin....you have been very talented ...in art or music...you and Keith...that is the memories I have of you guys back in Inter in those days...and you still have it... hope to see more soon..you go boy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I particularly like the picture of your daughter don't mind its photoshop but to me taking time to do this about someone you brought into this world shows you are a man with good heart...keep up your dreams they soon will become reality Derwin...you are heading in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the art, beautiful, I especially love the Fiddler.

    ReplyDelete
  13. GREETINGS ...

    GREAT WORK & MORE TO COME!!! I KNOW FOR SURE...one of my favorite peices that I know of is not included...when the universe brings you back to it, you shall know what it is...KEEP PUSHING FORWARD!

    "the beat doesn't stop here"
    Phylly G'

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Derwin,
    I must extend my heartfelt congratulations to you on such great work. You most certainly have lots of talent.
    I was most certainly impressed by the Fiddler, Bellaire, not forgetting my friendd Janx there.Hmn! I certainly hope you have lots more in store.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Derwin! Yuh done fine my man! Good work! Glad to see that you kept your ART alive and that you are FINALLY sharing with all of us! Bless up mih bredren!

    Meagan Sylvester April 23rd, 2010

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mr.Vallie the pieces in this gallery are very unique and has a story behind each.I shall enjoy trying to interpret each presentation.Very lovely work...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yea, for real bro, I love this, wish I had the talent.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Derwin,

    I especially like The Fiddler, the detail, the emotions and facial crease lines of the man looking at his fiddle...there is much depth here. Continue to spread your wings artistically and do not place limits on what you think you are capable of creating and acheiving.

    Blessings!
    Kassandra

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the video clips...keep up the good work !!

    ReplyDelete